Education: Coronavirus

Department for Education written question – answered am ar 24 Mehefin 2020.

Danfonwch hysbysiad imi am ddadleuon fel hyn

Photo of Baroness Morgan of Huyton Baroness Morgan of Huyton Llafur

To ask Her Majesty's Government what plans they have to fund catch-up educational provision, especially for disadvantaged pupils, following the COVID-19 pandemic; and which team within the Department for Education will be working on this.

Photo of Baroness Berridge Baroness Berridge Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for International Trade) (Minister for Women), The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Education

So far, we have committed over £100 million to support remote education. As plans continue for a full return to education from September, we have announced a £1 billion COVID-19 “catch-up” package to directly tackle the impact of lost teaching time.

£650 million will be shared across state primary and secondary schools over the 2020/21 academic year. This one-off grant to support pupils recognises that all young people have lost time in education as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak, regardless of their income or background.

Whilst school leaders will decide how it is used, the intention is that this money will be spent on the most effective interventions. On 19 June the Education Endowment Foundation published a guide to help school leaders and staff decide how to use this universal funding to best support their pupils, which is available here:

Separately, a National Tutoring Programme, worth £350 million, will increase access to high-quality tuition for the most disadvantaged young people. This will help accelerate their academic progress and tackle the attainment gap between them and their peers.

This £1 billion package is on top of the £14.4 billion three-year funding settlement announced last year - recognising the additional work schools will need to do to help students to catch up.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.