Government Departments: Timber

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered am ar 26 Mawrth 2015.

Danfonwch hysbysiad imi am ddadleuon fel hyn

Photo of Martin Horwood Martin Horwood Democratiaid Rhyddfrydol, Cheltenham

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, with reference to Greening Government Commitments Annual Report 2013 to 2014, published in February 2015, what steps she plans to take to improve implementation of policy on procurement of construction timber and office furniture by government departments.

Photo of Dan Rogerson Dan Rogerson The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

The Government continues to promote and support the Timber Procurement Policy (TPP). This includes the provision of practical advice to public sector procurers and suppliers through the Central Point of Expertise on Timber (CPET), which provides guidance and information through a helpdesk and regular, targeted workshops. Central Government Departments report annually on the application of the policy in construction contracts for the purposes of the Greening Government Commitments. CPET is reviewing the certification schemes that support the TPP to ensure they are sufficiently robust, and will report in the summer.

I am writing to Departments reminding them of the importance of the TPP, pointing them to the example of best practice of the Environment Agency as summarised in WWF’s recent report on Government implementation of the TPP, and asking for details of how they are ensuring implementation, for example by including the TPP in contracts and in key performance indicators. The Government Buying Standards (GBS) for Construction and for Timber Products require the TPP to be met. These GBS are now included in the CCS Facilities Management Framework contract, with work ongoing to ensure all future Government contracts include these criteria.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.